Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Perfectionist...

"For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings." -Hebrews 2:10


I (Will) am still reading the book of Hebrews over and over, and this verse stuck out in particular this morning. I've always focused on the last part - where Christ is called the Captain of our salvation. This time, however, my heart dwelt on the beginning of the passage. "...for whom are all things, and by whom are all things..." This is Jesus Christ we're reading about here, God Himself incarnate as a man sent to rescue Mankind as only He could. Everything ever is His and continues because He wills it - and it pleased Him to taste death so His children could be spared it's sting. This was His plan all along. I can barely imagine Him before Creation, His thoughts dwelling on what it will mean to have a people all His own, and knowing the loss and pain and sorrow it will involve. In order to be an intimate God, not a distant and cold one, He purposed to die before life as we know it ever began. But like the Perfect Captain He is, He shines that beaming, radiant, loving smile and starts speaking it all into being anyway.

I am increasingly convicted of the inadequacy of the phrase "God is good!" Every time I type it as a Facebook status I wish I could use a font the size of Jupiter.

~~JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment