Saturday, May 14, 2011

Non-fiction...

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." -Romans 8:18


God does not tell us "I know some days are rough and some days are not, but just keep your chin up and maybe tomorrow will be better." That would be a weaker God, more removed from our suffering. We would not be impressed by what that God has to say, and He would not have our trust. His indifference leaves much to be desired. Humanity has some pretty nice accomplishments too, after all, and we could probably come up with something better than the tentative promise of a "better day."

Ah, but this is not the God of the Bible. This is not the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God of David is not weak, the God of Daniel is not indifferent. He is bold, He is faithful, He is Truth. He says to us "I know some days are unfathomably sorrowful - this is the world as it stands. Your sin has separated us, but only for a time. Stick with me, child, because with me some days are going to be so incredibly amazingly awesome that you won't hardly recall what you did yesterday and pretty soon that's going to be every day because I've got this plan I'm working on and if I showed you all of it at once it would BLOW YOUR MIND!"

God has a better imagination than George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, J.R. Tolkien, Isaac Asimov, Gene Roddenberry and C.S. Lewis put together - and He doesn't write fiction.

~~JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment