Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Erasing Hell, Chapter One

Erasing Hell, Chapter One
"In other words, because there are things we don't want to believe about God, we therefore decide that we can't believe them."

Continuing our review of Francis Chan's latest title, "Erasing Hell", we move on to the first chapter. I would divide it into two parts: the first half he explains Universalism and articulates some general points about it, what verses in the Bible are typically used to back that view and how those verses are being understood incorrectly. Of course there's a ton, and Chan only tackles three or four big ones, but I think he handles it well and with a proper attitude of respect. The second half of the chapter is passages of scripture that refute Universalist claims altogether, illustrating a stark contrast between the eternal destination of believers and non-believers. He ends with a section addressing the idea of a "second chance" which I was particularly pleased to read.

In my experience I haven't found any other faith that doesn't allow for a second, or infinite, opportunities to escape eternal damnation (if there even is such a thing included in that belief system at all). I don't know much about Orthodox Judaism or Islam (though one may argue that martyrdom, being a sort of "instant-in", would count as a kind of second chance - but maybe I'm showing my ignorance here) and I'll have to read up on it. I'm always interested to learn about those two religions since they are so intimately connected with Biblical Christianity and I think it's to our detriment that we aren't trying to reach out to them more (though again, perhaps my ignorance is showing). I do know a bit about the teachings of both the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses and they each offer a kind of safety net for people who don't choose their respective salvations before death, only some of the things I'd never have learned if I shut my door the moment folks showed up to talk about their Jesus.

Finally I must say how easy it is to read Chan's writing. I read the beginning of "Crazy Love" but didn't have the chance to finish it before I sold it and it doesn't surprise me how so many people raved about it. I think he's dealing with heavier issues here perhaps, but he's doing so with respect and skill (and lots of footnotes) but still the same prosaic style that makes it seem more of a conversation and less of a teaching lesson or study session. Of course, like any good book, it ends up as all three.

~~JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment