Saturday, July 23, 2011

Like A Good Neighbor (But Like The Bad Ones Too)...

"...The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest." - Matthew 9:37b,38

We'll continue the Francis Chan review later, but for now I want to share some of what God's been laying on my heart. Without getting too intense - I've been praying a lot for Hollywood. I couldn't say specifically for what, but I'm nearly overwhelmed with how trapped a lot of those folks are. Some actors/actresses/artists/others are living a life of filth and loving it, but I'm becoming more and more sensitive that some aren't as into it - they're just slaves to their own image.

As much as I may be in debt for rent or credit cards or bills, I'm nowhere close to being in the kind of debt those people are. Multi-million dollar homes? You can't just walk away from that sort of financial commitment and it's not like you'll find that kind of money doing much else if you could. I haven't been keeping up with what's going on with the American debt because, well, who really can - we're in it and we're in it deep. I wonder, though, if the top ten paid actors and athletes donated 90% of their year's salary in exchange for being declared national heroes, wouldn't that bring us much closer than whatever pitiful amount they're arguing about in Washington? My point is Romans 6:16 includes monetary debt as well as anything else, and Hollywood is cranking out slaves as fast as any of the other bad guys out there.

So who's reaching them? I know Kirk Cameron and his ilk probably do their best, but are there really any other true Christians able to have a one-on-one with Eminem, or Miley Cyrus, or Martina McBride? Oh there's superficial Christianity - usually just called "Faith" or "Spirituality" all over the place but I don't buy that charade for one second. Christ says the harvest is ready but there aren't many willing workers, and we're not guiltless of sharing the Gospel with "superstars" less than anyone else. He also says to watch out for false teachers, and I'm sure there's plenty in Hollywood.

And so that's where my heart is. God has given me, it seems, a tremendous sense of vision and a heart to match but I'm not so good at using it yet. Could I just look up an address for Britney Spears and go and read some scripture with her - do people do that? Of course it's easy to think "No, Will, they'd stop you before you even got in the driveway!" But what if they didn't? What if when Christ said "Go ye into all the world..." He meant "Go ye into all the world..."? California is part of the world too, so maybe we need to start heading in that direction as well as overseas. Imagine, then, embarking on this sort of trip and getting there and actually getting in and actually meeting that person - how awesome! I think I'd have to start with something like: "Well, God must really want to talk with you because I'm pretty sure I didn't expect to make it this far!" Sort of a real-life Blues Brothers, but with cleaner language.

Anyway, that's what God's been up to lately. I don't know what His plans are (He often doesn't tell me those sorts of details), but I wouldn't be surprised if I had to go on a road trip at some point in the near future. God is good, and He's everyone's God whether they realize it or not, and He wants all people to come to Him because He made us all and He loves us all and He died for us all but He can't stand it when we say we love Him but really we just squeeze our devotions in during commercial breaks and write off whole portions of humanity as unreachable. He's God: He's everywhere you could possibly go!

~~JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment